Department – Information Technology
Supervisor – Stead Halstead, Director of Technical & Physical Operations with shared supervision, collaboration, and direction by the Vice President for Academic Affairs
Status – Full-Time, benefit eligible
Bushnell University Overview
Founded in 1895, Bushnell University provides a holistic Christian education, fostering wisdom, faith, and service in its students. In joining the staff here, you will be part of an academic community that seeks to cultivate your faith while you make a difference in the lives of our students. Bushnell is the largest private university in Eugene’s vibrant university district, which also includes the University of Oregon. Eugene is a college town small enough to know your neighbors and large enough to offer fantastic arts, entertainment, dining, healthcare, and educational opportunities. It is also an ideal place to enjoy the beautiful Pacific Northwest, being just one hour from the Oregon Coast, one hour from the Cascade Mountains, and less than two hours from Portland and the Columbia River Gorge.
This position serves to ensure effective faculty preparation in online course delivery, quality of technology-assisted pedagogy, and, ultimately, student satisfaction and retention. The Instructional Technology Specialist will provide direct support and training to faculty and adjunct instructors for online and in-person learning technologies, including the university LMS (learning management system). This position requires strong cross-departmental collaboration.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate support for and training in educational technology
- Coordinate and conduct onboarding for new instructors and ongoing training for all instructors
- Advise academic deans on best practices for pedagogy, curriculum design, and retention strategies in regard to online and hybrid learning and learning platforms.
- Participate in routine IT Department meetings and required trainings
- Maintain and update “Faculty 101” training module in LMS
- Develop support documentation and trainings to aid campus in using educational technology using in-person, knowledgebase articles, video, and online meeting delivery methods
- Oversee face-to-face classroom technology vision and direction for instructional use
- Research, recommend, and implement best practice guidelines for technology usage campus-wide
- Provide 1st and 2nd level support for LMS related issues and other issues as assigned
- Coordinate LMS upgrades
- Identify, recommend and implement additional educational technologies as needed
- Assist in development of new courses and monitor course quality and implementation deadlines
- Additional duties as assigned
Experience and Qualification Requirements
- The Instructional Technologist must be courteous, professional, and customer service oriented
- Demonstrated ability to learn new software at depth
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills in a training or support setting
- Comfort developing and delivering training to small and large groups
- Demonstrated experience with inter-departmental collaboration
- Prefer experience with LMS and other educational technologies
- Prefer experience in Universal Design
- Prefer familiarity with Moodle 3.7 or higher
- Prefer experience in higher education
- Master’s degree preferred, ideally in instructional technology, curriculum design, education, information science, or a related fiel
Working Conditions / Special Requirements
- Bushnell employees must have a maturing Christian faith and live in compliance with the duties and expectations as detailed in the Employee Handbook.
- The position requires a strong commitment to multiculturalism and diversity.
- The position requires working in a non-smoking, drug free environment.
- The employee must adhere to FERPA guidelines and student confidentiality at all times.
- All employees of Bushnell are “mandatory reporters” under Oregon law. See http://www.oregon.gov/dhs/abuse/pages/mandatory_report.aspx for specific information.
- The employee must have knowledge of strong office management techniques; operations, procedures, specific rules and precedents of the office; research methods and report writing techniques; record-keeping techniques; operation of office machines including computer equipment and specified software; principles of training and providing work direction.
- The position requires a strong ability to communicate effectively and succinctly, both verbally and in writing, utilizing tact, patience and courtesy.
- Listening skills and the ability to speak and write clearly are essential to this position. Must possess exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- The employee must have high personal motivation, with great attention to detail and accuracy.
- This person must project a positive, vibrant and professional attitude in assisting people.
- This person must have high ethics of honesty and confidentiality, with a genuine and gracious presence pertaining to the students, faculty, staff and business of the department and the University.
- This position may require lifting up to 50 lbs, as well as bending, stooping, kneeling.
- This position description is subject to change at any time.
Bushnell employees are expected to abide by the Theological Context for Bushnell Community Life. Please read this document before continuing.
To be considered for this position, please submit all six of the following:
- Bushnell Employment Application
- Cover letter addressing skills, experience, and knowledge
- Personal Statement of Faith that clearly addresses all three of the sections below:
- Section 1: how a maturing Christian faith finds expression in the candidate’s personal life, family life, community life, and current church membership;
- Section 2: how the candidate integrates faith into his or her work life; and
- Section 3: the candidate’s understanding of and ability to support Bushnell University’s Theological Context for Community Life statement.
- Contact Information for three references, one of which must be the applicant’s pastor or another appropriate church leader who is able to address the applicant’s faith background.
Email application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail application materials to:
Director of Technical & Physical Operations
828 E. 11th Ave.
Eugene, OR 97401
Please include all requested materials. Incomplete application packets may result in disqualification.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting Wendy Yamada at 541-684-7204 or email@example.com.
In compliance with the Clery Act, Bushnell University provides our Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report. You may request a paper copy from the Office of Student Life by calling 541-684-7345. This report is required by federal law and contains policy statements and crime statistics for the university.