Major & Minor
Everyone communicates. But not everyone communicates well. As such, people with strong writing and speaking skills often have a strong advantage for career success. Studying Communication at Bushnell University will teach you both the art and science of communication — growing in your practical skills to create and deliver messages as well as your knowledge of communication theory and research.
A Communication degree offers a variety of flexible educational experiences and provides students opportunities to blend practical skills into a foundation of theoretical understanding. Strong communication skills are all-purpose, and God reveals His purpose on His timeline, not ours.
Why Choose Bushnell?
A Communication degree at Bushnell University will prepare you to master relationships throughout your life. From lowering the fear of public speaking to improving the ability to listen attentively, Bushnell’s Communication program puts a relational emphesis on its educational experience.
Students will be provided strong communication that will prepare them for job offers and solid preparation for the most rigorous professional careers. Strong communication skills are extremely valuable and will expand options rather than limiting them.
- Communication for Accountants
- Communication for Ministry
- Health Communication
- Instructional Communication
- Relational Communication
- Pre-Law Communication
- Public Relations
- Public Speaking
Graduates of this program will:
- Demonstrate holistic and creative thinking from a Christian world view.
- Be able to communicate engagingly in an influential manner within a variety of contexts.
- Competently share meaning through a variety of communication channels.
- Understand and value processes and products of communication.
- Be able to use communication in professional settings.
COMM 201 Communication as a Calling
An examination of how training in Communication Studies prepares students to discern and pursue God’s call(s) on their lives. Begins with exploration of the theology of calling, then proceeds to biographical accounts of Communication degree holders’ pursuit of God’s call, then culminates in each student’s own reflections on how they will attempt to discern and answer God’s call.
COMM 220 Intercultural Communication
A study in the problems of effective communication of concepts across cultural barriers, values and world views.
COMM 314 Copy Writing for Media
Focuses on shaping students’ creative input to media writing projects, as well as format and channel constraints of written work delivered through mass media channels. Includes both individual and group work. Teaches foundations for development of effective advertising: problem definition, strategic development, and conceptual idea generation through tangible executions.
Beacon Points of Pride
- 100% of traditions undergraduates students graduate with at least 135 hours of field experience
- 190 company and school internship and field experience partners
- The National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) reported a 100-percent pass rate for Bushnell students on the national exams (NCE & NCMHE) over the last year. Bushnell students score on average higher than the national averages on 12 of the 14 exam areas
- According to EDsmart.org, a nationally recognized publisher of college resources and rankings, Bushnell University is ranked 2nd in the state of Oregon among fully accredited universities and colleges
Careers with a bachelor’s degree in Communication include:
- Social Media Manager
- Public Relations Specialist
- Marketing Specialist
- Brand Manager
- Sales Rep
- Media Planner
- Human Resources Specialist
- The Church at Rocky Peak
- Crown of Life Discipleship Ministry
- Ekklesia Church
- Eugene Area Chamber of Commerce
- Eugene Mission
- First Baptist Church of Eugene
- Grace Community Fellowship
- Heart & Purpose
- John Serbu Youth Campus
- Lane Workforce Partnership
- Light and Dwell Interior Design
- Love for Lane County
- Obie Hospitality
- Refugee Resettlement Coalition of Lane County
- Village Christian Church
- Waypoint Community Church
- Yujin Gakuen Public Japanese Immersion School
Life After Graduation
Our graduates have been hired by the following organizations:
- Bushnell University
- The Bible Project
- Eventide Asset Management
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Lane County District Attorney’s Office
- Oregon Department of Human Services
- Oregon Medical Group
- Pacific Residential Mortgage
- PacificSource Health Plans
- Roseburg Forest Products
- Tri-Cities Airport
- Turell Group
- Umatilla County Sherriff
- United States Air Force
- Westside Church
Additionally, here are some graduate programs that our former students are currently enrolled at:
- Bushnell University, Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- California University of Pennsylvania, Exercise Science/Sports Psychology
- Central Michigan University, TESOL
- Duquesne University, Communication
- Northwest University, International Community Development
- University of Oregon, Conflict and Dispute Resolution
- University of Oregon, Law School
- Wichita State University, Communication
Life at Bushnell
-Bethany Taylor, Class of 2023
-Gianna Rains '19
Meet the Faculty
Doyle Srader, Ph.D. Program Director
“From the articulate argument of political discourse to the businesses and organizations of the world, people need to be able to communicate competently, clearly, ethically, and eloquently. Blending practical skills into a foundation of theoretical understanding, the Speech Communication Department offers a flexible variety of educational experiences.
Speech Communication is a supple program preparing you for a large number of careers. Students learn to be able speak and write clearly and persuasively in various contexts and with diverse audiences, based on accurate evidence.”