Bushnell University offers an Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS) program in which students are provided with a customizable degree program. The IDS major is ideal if you have wide-ranging interests in several academic areas.
Students will work with a faculty advisor who assists in constructing a program of coursework that will meet their academic goals. This program gives you the opportunity to pursue topics of study tailored to meet your individual interests and needs. Additionally, students are offered an environment where a Christian and liberal arts foundation ensures that your personal course of study is integrated with your faith and ethics.
Why Choose Bushnell?
The Interdisciplinary Studies major offers students the ability to explore different disciplines, with degrees being offered as either a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science and will be determined by the majority of the three selected disciplines. This program is ideal for those students who have wide-ranging interests in several academic areas.
Graduates of this program will:
- Demonstrate holistic and creative thinking from a Christian worldview
- Acquire a basic knowledge and understanding of each academic area that comprises the major
- Read and think critically, write and speak clearly and persuasively, and conduct research effectively
- Build the foundation to prepare for desired vocations or selected graduate programs
- Pursue the goal of transformative leadership in their lives
IDS 175 The Purposeful Graduate: Career Exploration and Planning
Provides an introduction and overview to purposeful career development. Through hands-on activities, students will explore and engage in the career planning and decision-making process by completing various career assessments, researching potential occupations, and understanding career trends and theories. In addition, students will create a professional resume and cover letter and develop effective interviewing and networking skills in order to prepare for a successful internship, job, or graduate school search.
IDS 240 Foundations of Lifelong Learning
Designed to prepare students to engage in a dynamic learning environment that encompasses academic discourse, research, and professional development. It incorporates academic and career planning from a biblical perspective. By identifying individual strengths, students will be equipped to develop goals and strategies for maximizing their educational and professional pathways and becoming purposeful graduates. The foundation of lifelong learning is dependent upon effective research, writing, communication, and critical thinking skills.
Beacon Points of Pride
- 100% of traditional undergraduates students graduate with at least 135 hours of field experience
- 190 company and school internship and field experience partners
- The National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) reported a 100-percent pass rate for Bushnell students on the national exams (NCE & NCMHE) over the last year. Bushnell students score on average higher than the national averages on 12 of the 14 exam areas
- According to EDsmart.org, a nationally recognized publisher of college resources and rankings, Bushnell University is ranked 2nd in the state of Oregon among fully accredited universities and colleges
Careers with a bachelor’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies include:
- Family and Community Services
- Management & Administration
- Small Business Owner
- Education and Training
- Market Research and Merchandizing
- Broadcasting and Communication Arts
- Admissions Counselor
- Public Relations
- Human Resources
- Finanical Advisor
- Administrative Systems and Support
- Bushnell University
- Law offices
- Local government
Life After Graduation
Some of our graduates have been hired by the following organizations:
- Kizer and Son, Inc
- Eugene Christian School
- Admissions in Christian Higher Education
- Dicks Sporting Goods
- Grayhawk Golf Club
- Freelance Photography
- Beverage Company Graphic Designer
- International Teacher