Major & Minor
Spanish is the world’s second most-spoken language in terms of native speakers and has more than 400 million total speakers worldwide. As a Spanish major, you’ll have the opportunity to explore Spanish culture and language, which in turn provides you with additional perspectives to assist you in discovering and answering God’s calling in your life.
Students who learn a second language can increase cognitive function, leading to better grades and rewarding careers. By studying Spanish at Bushnell University, students will be provided interactive and engaging coursework with an emphasis on vocabulary building that can be applied throughout their lives and set them up for success.
Why Choose Bushnell?
As a Spanish major, students are taught with a communicative approach in order to incorporate real language in a real context. Listening, speaking, writing, and reading skills are taught with the goal of meaningful communication. Learning another language can open new doors and strengthen your resume and prepares you to teach and be employed in other countries.
Graduates of this program will:
- Understand the basic concepts of Spanish linguistics, including phonology, morphology
- Display a level of spoken and written proficiency necessary to function in an environment where Spanish is the exclusive language
- Demonstrate the ability to translate written and spoken word from English to Spanish and from Spanish to English
- Gain a general understanding and awareness of Spanish-speaking cultures and civilizations
SPAN 350 Spanish Vocabulary and Usage
This course builds students’ Spanish vocabulary through guided practice, readings, games, dialogues and other activities. Taught in Spanish.
SPAN 400 Spanish Cinema
This course focuses on the development of listening and writing skills through watching, discussing and analyzing Spanish-language films. Students will be exposed to a wide register of spoken Spanish and a variety of Hispanic cultures throughout the Spanish-speaking world. Taught in Spanish.
Beacon Points of Pride
- 100% of traditional undergraduates students graduate with at least 135 hours of field experience
- 190 company and school internship and field experience partners
- The National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) reported a 100-percent pass rate for Bushnell students on the national exams (NCE & NCMHE) over the last year. Bushnell students score on average higher than the national averages on 12 of the 14 exam areas
- According to EDsmart.org, a nationally recognized publisher of college resources and rankings, Bushnell University is ranked 2nd in the state of Oregon among fully accredited universities and colleges
Careers with a bachelor’s degree in Spanish include:
- Civil Service
- Human Resources
- Language Analysis
- Law Enforcement
- Mission Work
- Volunteers in Medicine
- Centro Latino Americano
- Catholic Community Services
- Downtown Language
- ELAQ—The Environmental Law Alliance Worldwide
- Huerto de la Familia
- Springfield Public Library
Life After Graduation
A sampling of where our graduates are employed include:
- Pilgrim House in Spain on the Camino de Santiago – 2 year ministry—in Spanish
- Intern for Trailblazers ticketing office
- Spanish Teacher at St. Paul’s—Currently studying for a Masters of Teaching with a Spanish endorsement
- Medical school with an emphasis in Global Health—interning in Spanish speaking countries
- Grad program for School Counseling
- Reading Specialist at Chavez Elementary School with ELL students