Major & Minor
The School of Music and Performing Arts is a creative, educational, spiritual community helping talent find opportunity.
Students receive fundamental musical knowledge, practical experience, and leadership skills which prepare them for professional roles in Worship Arts, Production, Performance, Music Business, and Composition. Students are also prepared for advanced study at the graduate level.
Why Choose Bushnell?
The School of Music and Performing Arts is unique because it builds all of its music, business, and technology majors on a solid theoretical/practical musical core. Students who love music love Bushnell. Students often say that it is the non-hierarchical, cooperative, spiritual community that helps them flourish.
Competent and caring School of Music and Performing Arts staff and faculty teach a rigorous program that maximizes their remarkable experience and education through coursework, practicums, internships, and capstones. Students get to do and learn what they love most!
- Music Business
- Worship Arts
Graduates of this program will possess:
- A thorough working knowledge of music
- Highly developed performance and production skills
- Refined leadership skills
- Training as a worship leader, performing artist or technician, businessperson, composer
MUS 101 Music Theory
Both linear and aesthetic, mathematical and interpretive, Music Theory is the celebrated core course for all serious students of music. Music Theory lays the foundation for all of the music major concentrations by teaching key musical fundamental components.
Music 225 The Worshipping Community
Personal calling is understood in the context of the purpose, places, and practice of the corporate worshipping community. Various styles, traditions, and expressions of worship arts are explored through theory and practice.
Music 240 The Christian Artist
The role of the artist is examined through the lens of scripture and history. The student will gain insight on how to thrive as a Christian artist.
Beacon Points of Pride
- 100% of traditional undergraduates students graduate with at least 135 hours of field experience
- 190 company and school internship and field experience partners
- According to EDsmart.org, a nationally recognized publisher of college resources and rankings, Bushnell University is ranked 2nd in the state of Oregon among fully accredited universities and colleges
Careers with a Bachelor’s degree in Music include:
- Worship Pastor/Leader
- Artist Manager
- Booking Agent
- Audio Engineer
- Creative Arts Director
- Concert Promotions
- Retail Sales Management
- Business Manager
- Director of Publicity
- Advertising Account Executive
- Marketing Representative
- Tour Coordinator
- Road Manager
- Sales Executive
Practical experience is found in professional music venues, churches, touring, and production companies.
Life After Graduation
A sampling of where our graduates are employed include:
- Bushnell University
- Brinoch (musical production firm)
- Markey’s (event production)
Life at Bushnell
The School of Music & Performing Arts Faculty
Kelly Ballard, D.Min. Gene Chin, D.M.A. Nathan Poehlke, M.M. Emily Weinkauf Kidder, MBA.MB