Family Resources

Helpful Info for Parents and Families

Q: Where can we purchase Bushnell Beacon gear?

A: Beacon gear can be purchased through our Bushnell Beanery on campus, at many home games, or through our online store, which you can access on

Q: What kinds of career development resources are available to my student?

A: Career Development provides individualized career coaching, which allows a student a safe space to decide on a major, explore career pathways, develop a concrete plan of action, craft a well-written cover letter and resume, and practice their interviewing skills. They also host monthly workshops on various career-related topics and coordinate annual signature events, like Networking 101 and Mock
Interview Day.

Q: How do I make a payment on my student’s account and can I set up a payment plan?

A: You can mail a check, stop by the Business Office (cash, check, money order/cashier’s check, or debit card), or pay online via Checking/Savings account (free to use) or debit/credit card (additional fee) at You can set up a payment plan if you are unable to pay the balance in full. Payment plans are based on the total charges for the academic year and are available in 9 and 10 month option. There is a $100.00 charge to set this up. Contact the Business office for more details.

Q: How can my student get involved in a small group?

A: Students receive sign-up forms during move-in at the beginning of the year. This is the best time to join a group (when all groups are just beginning to be formed), but students are encouraged to connect with a small group at any time!

Q: How does my student request tutoring?

A: All in-house tutoring requests should be sent to or over the phone at 541-684-7278. From that point, our Tutor Coordinator will distribute the request to the right tutor by either passing along the electronic submission or scheduling an appointment with the corresponding tutor. Smarthinking tutoring, a trusted third party tutoring service, is accessible through the student’s BeaconLearning account and training on how to use it is provided at new student orientation.

Q: What if my student is struggling in their faith and needs someone to talk to?

A: The Campus Pastor, the Coordinator for Campus Ministry, faculty and staff members are always available to meet with, pray with, and care for students. We also encourage students to reach out to their Resident Assistant (RA) or small group leader for additional support.

Q: Spirituality has not been important for my student – does he/she still have to go to chapel?

A: Yes. Chapel is considered a class and, as such, appears on students’ transcripts. However, while we encourage students to try new things and grow in their spiritual development, no student would ever be forced to participate in an activity in chapel (singing, prayer, etc.) that is contrary to their personal beliefs.

Q: What is the career placement rate?

A: Based on the results of the outcomes survey for the Class of May 2017, over 70% of the graduates who responded to the survey reported working full-time or enrolling in graduate studies at the time of graduation!

Q: We’ve filed our FAFSA and our Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is way more than we can actually afford to pay for our student’s education. What do we do?

A: We understand that your current financial situation can vary a lot from the tax year that your FAFSA is based on. If there has been a change in your situation since the tax year your FAFSA used please submit a Special Circumstances Request Form (available at We’ll see if there’s anything we can do to help your student qualify for more need-based aid.

Q: We would like to take out additional loans to cover our balance. What are our options?

A: There are several options when it comes to additional loans for school. Applying for a PLUS Loan on student loans. gov is always a good idea and may qualify your student for additional Direct Loans if your application is denied. If you’re not able to apply due to bankruptcy or other restrictions, or if you wouldn’t be able to afford to repay the loan if approved, please contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance. There are also many private student lenders with education loan options. For private loans, we always encourage you to start looking wherever you do your banking, but there’s also a great list available at which can help you compare loan options.

Q: How are qualified disabilities determined for Disability Services and what types of accommodations would be made available?

A: A qualified disability is one that has been documented by an appropriate professional. Referrals can be made to appropriate professionals to assess for disabilities. Depending on the nature of the disability, students may qualify for extended time on tests, a distraction-free testing environment, books in audio format, closed captioning, and other possible accommodations.

Q: What is FERPA?

A: Family Educational Right to Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is Federal law intended primarily to (1) protect student academic records and personally identifiable information, and (2) ensure students have access to their own records and academic information. Bushnell is required to provide these specific protections and access, as is appropriate. FERPA rights exist and reside with the legal guardian through high school, but upon enrollment in post-secondary education (college or university), those rights transfer to the student and parents no longer have immediate rights to access information.

Q: Can I speak with the Registrar’s Office or another university official about my student’s academic progress or their grades?

A: University officials are not allowed to discuss any academic records protected by FERPA with parents without proper access approval being given. However, we strongly encourage students to maintain an open, honest relationship and communication with their parents/guardians regarding academic performance and progress.

Q: How can I gain access to this information protected by FERPA?

A: There are a few provisions that could require or allow access be given to parents. The easiest and most common way is to have the student sign a form allowing access. Forms can be obtained from the student portal on My.Bushnell.

Q: Where can I find information on student conduct policies?

A: Information regarding all student conduct policies including alcohol policies, sexual harassment, academic violation, etc, can be found in the Student Handbook located on the universities website:

Q: How can my student make an appointment for counseling services?

A: Appointments can be made in person at 755 E 11th (Siefke Hall) or by calling 541-349-7471.

Q: Where does my student go for IT help?

A: The most efficient way to contact IT is through the Help Ticket in My.Bushnell or the Help Desk at 541-684-7272.

Q: What is the campus housing policy?

A: We require all students to live on campus during the first three years of their college career unless they are approved to live off-campus by the Office of Residence Life. Some reasons for automatic exemption to live off campus are: being 21 or older by Sept 1 of the academic year, married or having a dependent, or commuting from the home of your parent/legal guardian.

Q: What resources are available to my student if they get sick while at school?

A: Bushnell is conveniently located within walking distance of Eugene Urgent Care and Sacred Heart Hospital/ER.

Q: How can my student sign up to use the UO Student Rec Center?

A: Students may sign up at the beginning of each semester in the Office of Student Life. The cost is $150/semester.

Family HandboOK