Student Consumer Information

Below is a summary of consumer information that is made available to all prospective and enrolled students and employees at Bushnell University in accordance with federal regulations in the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended.  Each link below will provide you with detailed information regarding each topic.  Paper copies of any of the informational items below can be provided by contacting one of the following offices between 8 AM and 5 PM PST Monday through Friday:

Office of the Registrar 

Office of Financial Aid 

Office of Student Life

Student Financial ASSISTANCE



Students should attempt to resolve any grievances they may have with their school first. Should attempts to resolve these problems with appropriate school officials fail, or should the student be dissatisfied with the final outcome of the college complaint process, then the Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC), can respond to a formal complaint.  Students may contact the Higher Education Coordinating Commission, 3225 25th St. SE, Salem, OR 97302 or by sending an email to

Students may also access the HECC Complaints web page for information at, or visit the complaints page at NC-SARA’s website: