Becoming a teacher is a wonderful way to use the gifts that God has given you to inspire young people in life-changing ways. As you study education at Bushnell University, you will gain the knowledge, skills, and disposition needed to be confident and well-prepared for a career in the teaching profession.
We train our students to be innovative thinkers and provide them with the tools and resources necessary for taking a concept from an idea to a realization. We offer a high-quality learning experience through practical and hands-on coursework that equips students for their chosen vocation.
Why Choose Bushnell?
Bushnell University’s teacher education program intentionally pairs student field experiences with classroom learning to ensure you’re prepared to connect theoretical knowledge with hands-on, real-world experiences. The impact of a teacher extends far beyond the classroom as they are facilitators of discovery who help children learn more about themselves and the world around them.
Students will get real-world hands-on experience, completing 1000-plus hours of field experience and learn from caring faculty with experience in a K-12 school setting – allowing practical application in your courses and gaining a strong understanding of what is expected of teachers and students for state standards and benchmarks.
- Advanced Mathematics
- Basic Mathematics
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Integrated Science
- Language Arts
- Multiple Subject Elementary
- Physical Education
- Special Education
- Social Studies
All teacher education majors must apply to the School of Education. Please ensure that you have met the following requirements before applying to the School of Education:
- Admission to Bushnell University
- Completion of approximately 60 semester credits
Graduates of this program will:
- Believe in the dignity and worth of each individual
- Be academically competent in subjects they are to teach
- Exemplify professional communication (speaking, writing, listening) and technology skills
- Realize that teaching is both an art and a science
- Apply a working knowledge of effective classroom management and the skills of teaching
- Motivate students with hands-on, action-based learning opportunities
- Utilize a variety of effective teaching methods which synthesize content, knowledge of children and adolescents, and an empowering learning environment
- Commit themselves to continuing professional growth to remain effective and the desire to pursue further study
- Demonstrate ethical and professional responsibilities of teachers and an understanding of the teacher’s role as a leader in the community
- Lead, empower, and motivate every student to enjoy learning and to continue learning for a lifetime
Want to Become a Teacher?
Click to view what path is best for you on becoming a teacher.
Life After Graduation
Our graduates serve in dozens of PK-12 districts across the western U.S. with many landing jobs locally, in Lane County. Many of our alumni are serving at schools in Oregon, Washington, California, Arizona, and Idaho.
Additionally, here are some graduate programs that our former students are currently enrolled at:
- Bushnell University
- Western Oregon
- George Fox
Beacon Points of Pride
- Top Elementary Education Program in Oregon, According to Degreechoices.com
- Program delivers follow a cohort model
- Approximate class size ranges from 6-12 students
- According to EDsmart.org, a nationally recognized publisher of college resources and rankings, Bushnell University is ranked 2nd in the state of Oregon among fully accredited universities and colleges
The majority of Bushnell students complete their student teaching within 30 miles of campus. If you don’t see the school or district on this list that you are interested in, let us know and we’d be happy to connect with you.
- Springfield School District
- Eugene 4j School District
- Junction City School District
- Creswell School District
- Corvallis School District
- West-Linn-Wilsonville School District
- Pleasant Hill School District
- St. Paul Catholic School
- O’Hara Catholic School
- Eugene Christian School
- Bethel School District
- Harrisburg School District
- Salem-Keizer School District
- South Lane School District
- North Santiam School District
- Lake Oswego School District
- Willamette Christian School
Life at Bushnell
Sierra Janikowski, Class of 2023
Meet the Faculty
Cindy Nees, M.Ed Licensure Specialist
“The Teacher Education Program at Bushnell provides a truly excellent foundation for aspiring educators and counselors. Our next generation of teachers and counselors are given support and guidance from our district partner teachers and mentors, as well as our Field Supervisors who are experts in their fields of education.
Students have the added advantage of many hours in the field where they plan and teach, receive feedback, and constantly improve in a mindset of ‘Excellence in Education’. It is a privilege to work with these students and faculty as we raise and prepare the next generation of future educators to impact our schools and our K-12 students.”
The School of Education Faculty
Jenee Cazares, M.A. Allyssa Goertzen, M.A. Brian Kaelin, Ed.D. Cindy Nees, M.Ed. Suzanne Price, M.Ed. Ray Ricks, M.Ed.