COVID-19 Update: Participants in the American Culture & Language Program may be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination before arrival in the U.S.A. We will contact you with additional updates regularly.
Bushnell University, Eugene, Oregon, USA
Dates: June 27 – July 15, 2022
At Bushnell University, building and enjoying new relationships is at the heart of everything we do! Your first experience in the American Culture & Language Program will be making American friends and enjoying the exchange of perspectives with those new friends from day one. Here, you will spend every day with American university students as you learn and share cultures. There is no better way to foster strong global relationships and to explore new perspectives than to join an international cohort of young people in a positive and safe global learning environment. That’s what you’ll get at Bushnell University!
For more information, please contact email@example.com
Global Communication Track
- This track is right for you if your goal is to improve your practical English and global communication skills.
- Join 2:1 English language practice sessions with American university students.
- Hone your language skills with guided ESL help to prepare a presentation relating to cross-cultural issues.
- Good for students at all levels of English proficiency.
(Please note, some classes may separate students by English proficiency level.)
Global Leadership Track
- This track is right for you if your goal is to foster global leadership skills and engage in deeper conversations with American students and other international students.
- Join lectures and workshops given by American university professors.
- Join other university students in developing and implementing a project related to current global issues.
- Good for students at higher levels of English proficiency, or returning students.
(Please note, some class/workshop topics and/or content may change.)
Improving English Language Skills: All Students
Students in both tracks join American culture and language workshops and classes to improve English communication skills and explore new cultural perspectives.
Classes, electives, and included sessions in the ACLP include learning equivalent to at least 30 hours of classroom education, or 2 semester credits of study.
Hotel-style university dormitories with 2-3 students per room with private bathroom. There are recreational and laundry facilities in the dorms and around campus.
All meals on weekdays (Monday-Friday) are included with program fee. Students are responsible for purchasing their own meals on weekends (there are many shops and restaurants around the university).
Breakfast – Enjoy pastries, fruit, and drinks of your choice in our favorite coffee shop in the University District
Lunch – Join a family-style American lunch in the University Lunch Lounge
Dinner – Experience delicious local venues in the University District
The following tours are included in the program fee:
- Seattle: This largest city in America’s Pacific Northwest is also home to some of America’s most iconic companies, including Microsoft, Starbucks, Amazon, Costco, and more! Join some of your new American friends as we tour Microsoft, snap photos at the Space Needle, and visit the first Starbucks at Pike Place Market. Students will have time to experience MOPOP, the Space Needle, and other exciting places if they choose but will need to purchase their own tickets for these optional activities.
- Camping & Rafting: Roast marshmallows over a campfire and look at the stars on this camping trip in the Cascade Mountains, joined by American students and Bushnell University faculty and followed by a cool whitewater rafting trip down the McKenzie River!
The following weekend tours are offered for an additional fee:
- Crater Lake National Park: See natural beauty like you’ve never seen before at America’s deepest lake… inside a volcano! ($50)
- Oregon High Desert: Get a picture of America’s Wild West, and experience Oregon’s high desert at the High Desert Museum, followed by some shopping and relaxation. ($50)
- Oregon Coast: A wide-open beach with soft sand and clean ocean water overlooked by majestic sand dunes… this is our beautiful coast! Get ready for some crazy beach games together with American students! ($25)
Other Great Activities
Daily Cultural Exchange
Build friendships with American university students in activities offered daily, including recreation, shopping, or just hanging out together – you are guaranteed to leave Eugene knowing a new friend, a new game, or both!
Meal time is “family” time at the Global Leadership & Communication Program – we all enjoy our meals together in a time of fellowship, and you may even be asked to help make lunch one day!
American Family Day Experience
Join a local American family for the day to experience American life while sharing your own culture with them… now you have another family!
Fourth of July Celebration
Enjoy America’s favorite summer holiday with American friends!
Global Showcase & Presentations
Showcase your home culture and present your ideas from the workshops and projects in the program for an audience of students, faculty, staff, and other American friends who can’t wait to cheer you on… you might even win an award!
Free Time is a Cultural Experience, Too
There are many nice places, restaurants, cafés, and little shops within walking distance of the Bushnell University campus – you will have lots of time to explore and make your own new experiences!
Typical Weekday Schedule
9:00am Practical English Language and Culture Classes
11:00am Culture/Topic Workshops
1:30pm Leadership Workshops (GLT) or 2:1 English language practice sessions (GCT)
4:00pm Cultural Exchange Activities
6:00pm Break for Dinner
After Dinner: Various recreational activities with American university students
*GLT= Global Leadership Track
*GCT= Global Communication Track
**Weekends include optional tours and activities
ACLP Fee: $2,700 USD (US dollars)
Includes program tuition, dormitory accommodations, all weekday meals, Seattle tour, camping/rafting trip, and transportation to/from Eugene Airport.
Does not include tours, airfare to/from Eugene Airport, required traveler’s insurance, or personal items.
You must be a student in good standing at your home institution, have either an English proficiency test score or transcripts showing some English language coursework completed, and hold or be eligible to attain a B1/B2 U.S. tourist visa (or visa waiver) allowing you to stay in the USA during the program.
- Complete the application form and submit to your home institution’s international program coordinator or directly to the Program Director at Bushnell University (March 15)
- Make Program Fee payment to your home institution or directly to Bushnell University – email the Program Director for details (April 15)
- Receive ‘Letter of Acceptance’ (upon receipt of Fee payment or confirmation from your home institution)
- Apply for a U.S. tourist visa (if required) and purchase airline tickets to Eugene, Oregon (April 20*)
- Receive ‘Student Information Packet’ by email (June 1)
- Make additional preparations to come to the USA (June 15)
- Come join us in beautiful Eugene, Oregon, USA (June 27)
Application Form Coming Soon!
*Visa processing times may take longer than expected-apply early